- This event has passed.
1st International Expert Meeting: Promoting Climate Finance for Sustainable Transport
14 September 2014 @ 9:00 am
For detailed information on the discussions of the meeting, please see Report of the Workshop (pdf)
This International Expert Meeting on September 14th will be the first formal meeting of the interdisciplinary Expert Group organized by the TRANSfer project on Transport and Climate Finance.
The TRANSfer project is run by GIZ and funded by the International Climate Initiative of the German Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conversation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB). Its objective is to support developing countries to develop and implement climate change mitigation strategies in the transport sector as „Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions“ (NAMAs) (www.transport-namas.org). At the international level and closely linked to the UNFCCC process, the project helps accelerate the learning process on transport NAMAs. The TRANSfer project is also conducting a background study on the potential use of climate finance in support of a range of different types of sustainable transport projects, programs and policies.
Scope and objectives
- Prior to this kick-off meeting in Manila, informal consultations are being conducted with the members of the Expert Group to discuss the work plan for the Expert Group and to gather inputs for a consolidated work program for the first phase of the Expert Group (with COP 20 in Lima as an important milestone), Peru, until mid-2015.
- The results of these informal consultations will be presented in the Manila meeting on September 14. It is intended that the meeting will result in:
- Review of initial results of the Study on Transport and Climate Financing
- Development of initial recommendations for (i) using climate finance to leverage investments required to realize sustainable transport and (ii) how to structure international climate funds in a way that takes into account specific requirements of the transport sector;
- Suggestions on key outreach messages on transport and climate financing as well as key targetgroups for outreach and best channels to reach these groups;
- Consensus on work plan for the Expert Group and next steps.
To download the draft agenda of the meeting, please click here.
Participation to this meeting is by-invitation only. If you would like to participate in the 1st International Expert Meeting on Promoting Climate Finance please send an e-mail to Laura Wuertenberger, laura.wuertenberger[at]giz.de or Cornie Huizenga, cornie.huizenga[at]slocatpartnership.org