- This event has passed.
Sustainable Transportation for Agenda 2030: Boosting the Arteries of Global Trade
21 July 2016 @ 11:30 am
The Fourteenth Session of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD 14) will take place between 17-22 July 2016 in Nairobi, Kenya. During the UNCTAD 14, the Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) together with UNCTAD is organizing a Ministerial Round Table on “Sustainable Transportation for Agenda 2030: Boosting the Arteries of Global Trade”on 21 July 2016, from 11.30-13.00. The Ministerial Roundtable organized will bring together government representatives, intergovernmental organizations, civil society groups and academia as well as key industry players from shipping, road haulage, and logistics sectors and financial institutions, among others. Panelist at the roundtable will;
- Discuss the key principles of sustainable freight transport and create a shared vision of what sustainable freight transport entails;
- Identify core elements required to establish a common International Framework for Sustainable Freight Transport;
- Identify key stakeholders, partners and their respective roles;
- Assess needs and gaps as well as next steps aimed at establishing an agreed common International Framework for Sustainable Freight Transport
The discussions will set the pace for future action, and articulate the way forward including in terms of relevant follow-up actions by UNCTAD and its development partners.
Moderator: Mr. Cornie Huizenga, Secretary General, Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport
Opening Remarks: Ms. Shamika Sirimanne, Director, Division on Technology and Logistics, UNCTAD
- H.E. James Wainanina Macharia, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development, Kenya.
- Mr. Tom Boardley, Executive Vice President, Lloyd’s Register.
- Mr. Auni Bhaiji, Regional Director Development and External Affairs, Bollore Africa Logistics
- Dr. Aisa Kirabo Kacyira, Deputy Executive Director and Assistant Secretary-General, UN-HABITAT
- Dr. Carlos Alberto Gonzalez-Calderon, Research Associate, VREF Center of Excellence Sustainable Urban Freight Systems
- Mr. Amadou Oumarou, Director, Transport, Urban Development & ICT Department, African Development Bank