- This event has passed.
High Level Discussion – 2017 Plans Transport Action Area under the Global Climate Action Agenda
16 November 2016 @ 3:30 pm
The Paris Agreement on Climate Change calls for global CO2 reductions to hold climate warming to a ‘well-below-2-degrees’ Celsius target, which is typically taken as a 1.5-degree Celsius target. At the same time, the Paris Agreement calls for accelerated action on Adaptation.
Action and activities on Transport under the Global Climate Action Agenda (GCAA) in COP22 have been facilitated by the GCCA Transport Team consisting of the Paris Process on Mobility and Climate (PPMC) the Energy Investment Company (SIE) and the Ministries of Transport and Environment of Morocco and France at the request of the High Level Champions Laurence Tubiana (France) and Hakima El Haite (Morocco).
The purpose of the November 16 High Level Discussion is to review and discuss the 2017 plans for Transport under the Global Climate Action on Adaptation and Mitigation to enable the GCA Transport Team to make an early start with follow-up activities to COP22 to ensure that the Transport sector is well prepared for the UNFCCC meeting in May 2017 and for COP23.
Agenda November 16 Meeting
1. Follow up to the COP22 Declaration on Accelerated Action on Adaptation in Transport, including the development of a draft work plan on Transport and Adaptation;
2. Continued coordination and facilitation of GCA Transport Initiatives, including:
- Scaling up ambition of GCA Transport Initiatives;
- Adding possible new initiatives;
- Strengthening of progress and impact reporting;
3. Roll-out of Quick Wins on Transport, Climate Change and Sustainable Development.
4. Further development of phased, regionally specific Global Macro-Roadmap on Decarbonization of Transport:
- GCA Transport Initiatives as launch pad for the Global Macro Roadmap
- Substantive work on Global Macro Roadmap – both existing areas and new work on economic impacts, as well as development of regional versions of the Roadmap
- Private sector and Public sector consultations on Roadmap
- Establishment of facilitating/steering/advisory group to support Roadmap
5. PPMC plans vis-à-vis UNFCCC processes and events:
- Transport sector preparation for 2018 Facilitative Dialogue
- Transport Sector and the IPCC 1.5 oC study
- Contribution towards the 2017 Technical Expert Meeting (TEM) on Transport, including possible regional TEMs