- This event has passed.
Intergovernmental Tenth Regional Environmentally Sustainable Transport (EST) Forum in Asia
14 March 2017 @ 12:00 am
Intergovernmental Tenth Regional EST Forum in Asia under the theme “2030 Road Map for Sustainable Transport ~ Aligning with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” will be held from 14 to 16 March 2017 in Vientiane, Lao PDR. The objectives of the 10th Regional EST Forum in Asia are to
- identify and discuss how Asian EST member countries can contribute in achieving the 2030 Agenda of Sustainable Development/SDGs through their sustainable transport solutions and actions;
- discuss various policy options, institutional measures, technological interventions, financing mechanisms, and partnership arrangement in the transport sector for the achievement of SDGs;
- strengthen policy consultation on rural accessibility and connectivity for food security, eliminating hunger, regional cooperation and sustainable regional development;
- address the role of railways in the context of 2030 Agenda of Sustainable Development and SDGs;
- discuss and address how sustainable transport can contribute to achieve gender equality and to empower woman and girls;
- review and evaluate countries’ progress, initiatives, achievements and best practices in addressing the Goals of the Bangkok 2020 Declaration (2010-2020);
- and draw vital lessons and gain insights to the directions of the EST member countries in moving towards the SDGs through their sustainable transport solutions and actions.
It is expected that approximately 500 participants, including senior government representatives from Asia and the Pacific countries, city mayors, international experts, resource persons, and others as listed below will be attending the conference.
- High-level government representatives and policy makers from the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Environment, the Ministry of Urban Development, and the Ministry of Health, etc;
- Local participants including government officials from central, regional and local governments;
- Distinguished transport, environment and climate change experts and international resource persons;
- Representatives of relevant UN and international organizations, including international financial institutions, multi-lateral development banks and donor agencies; and
- Selected representatives of the private and business sectors, INGOs and NGOs etc.
Vientiane International Mayors Forum will be held in conjunction with Intergovernmental Tenth Regional EST Forum on March 15th, 2017 in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
VIENTIANE INTERNATIONAL MAYORS FORUM
Venue: Grand Convention Hall (Hall AB)
- 9:00-10:30 Policies for Achieving Smart, Resilient and Low Carbon Cities
- 11:00-12:00 Session II: Integrated Planning for Sustainable Urban Development – Localizing the SDGs, Addressing the New Urban Agenda
- 13:30-14:30 Session III: Public Participation in Urban Planning and Development
- 14:30-15:30 Session IV: Financing for SDG 11
- 15:30-16:30 Session V: Conservation of Urban Cultural and Natural Heritage and Historic Urban Landscapes, Provision of Recreational “Green” and Other Urban Public Spaces
- 17:00-18:00 Session VI: Making Our Cities More Resilient – Implementation of Sendai Framework, Integrating DRR in Urban Planning, Addressing Climate Change Impacts, etc.
- 19:00-21:00 Signing of the Addendum to Kyoto Declaration for the Promotion of Environmentally Sustainable transport (EST) Towards Realizing Resilient, Smart and Liveable Cities in Asia & NETWORKING RECEPTION, Hosted By: Ministry of Public Works and Transport (MPWT), Lao PDR
- Provisional program
- Provisional concept note
- Zero Draft Vientiane Declaration on Sustainable Rural Transport towards Achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development for Government comments and inputs