- This event has passed.
Aviation Partnership for Sustainable Development: High-level Briefing on Aviation Contributions to Sustainable Development in Countries in Special Situations
19 July 2017 @ 8:15 am
Sustainable aviation is a driver for economic development, trade and tourism. Air transportation is instrumental in facilitating humanitarian and disaster response to crises and public health emergencies. For countries in special situations, such as least developed countries (LDCs), small island developing States (SIDS) and landlocked developing countries (LLDCs), aviation represents an essential lifeline to connect to the world. A poorly funded and neglected aviation industry, which does not meet international requirements adopted by ICAO, has been proven to raise risks and barriers for the sustainable development of States. Focusing on the prioritization and financing for development of sustainable air transport systems in these States has the potential to unlock the benefits sustainable aviation generates.
This high-level event, organized as a side event on the margins of the 2017 High-level Political Forum on sustainable development (2017 HLPF) is an Aviation Partnerships for Sustainable Development initiative that will support States in achieving commitments made in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Istanbul Programme of Action, the Vienna Programme of Action, and the Samoa Pathway. This side event aims at encouraging dialogue and action, to sensitize decision-makers about raising sustainable air transport as priority for sustainable development and investment.
Moderated by Ms. Irena Zubcevic, Chief, SIDS, Oceans and Climate Branch, Division for Sustainable Development, DESA
- Ms. Fekitamoeloa Katoa ‘Utoikamanu, High Representative for the LDCs, LLDCs and SIDS, UN-OHRLLS: Context of countries in special situation in the era of sustainable development
- Minister of Transport: Challenges and areas of opportunity in sustainable aviation
- Mr. Michael Gill, Executive Director, ATAG: Benefits that sustainable aviation brings to countries in special situations
- Mr. Henry Gourdji, Head, Strategic Planning, Coordination and Partnerships, ICAO: Enablers and indicators of sustainable aviation and prioritization of the sector
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Donor’s perspectives on sustainable aviation development projects
- Mr. Christopher J. De Serio, Transport Specialist, World Bank Group: Financing mechanisms to enhance sustainable air transport systems
- Exchange of views and interactive discussion