- This event has passed.
SUTP-Webinar on “Gender and Urban Transport”
18 January 2018 @ 8:00 pm
We cordially invite you to join our next SUTP-Webinar on “Gender and Urban Transport” on Thursday, January 18th at 13:00 (UTC+1).
Just as transportation systems define the structure of the city, gender defines the structure of society. Women face more restrictions to mobility, and their travel patterns differ from those of men due to their differences in needs and tasks, and also because they generally have less time available and access to resources. At the same time, women are in higher risk of being victim of crime and violence. Therefore, women have different requirements of transport systems and space, and these diverse perspectives need to be integrated into planning. Without this, transportation, planning and projects will not adequately meet demand.
Mayors as well as administrations play an essential role in making transport gender sensitive, and gender must be considered in all stages of the planning process: data collection, planning and design, implementation and monitoring. Key issues to be tackled are the support of women’s participation in decision-making, the improvement in accessibility, safety and comfort of transport modes and the planning of transport services in response to gender needs.
Not including gender in transport planning, design and operation leads to inefficiencies in the transport system, to economic disadvantage and limitation of potential.
To find out more about the specifics of gender in transport this webinar will share knowledge, examples and innovative ideas from around the globe for inclusive and safe transport.
Questions we will explore include:
- What exactly are the differences in gender and transport use?
- How can you measure and evaluate gender in transport?
- What are good examples to learn from?
- What does this mean for decision-makers?
- What lessons can be learnt for other countries or regions?
- Where can I get more information?
- Heather Allen is an independent consultant with more than 20 years international of experience and is a highly regarded expert in gender, urban transport, sustainable development and climate change. She has worked at UITP, the International Association of Public Transport and with the UK’s Transport Research Laboratory’s Sustainable Transport Group. Since becoming an independent consultant, her projects include an international review of women’s personal security, gender and urban transport and a major study on this in three Latin American Cities (Buenos Aires, Quito and Santiago).
- Sonal Shah is an architect and urban planner. Currently she is the Senior Manager of the Institute of Transportation and Development Policy, where she is guiding the urban planning and gender strategy, projects, research and capacity building initiatives. She has issued various publications on such topics, among others the Women and Urban Transport Policy Brief together with Safetipin. Prior to her current position, she has worked as an independent consultant, and a consultant for the Indian Institute for Human Settlements.
Please register here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7645058667079035649