SLoCaT Results Framework on Sustainable Transport
FINAL DRAFT: RESULTS FRAMEWORK ON SUSTAINABLE, LOW CARBON TRANSPORT
Following the final rounds of stakeholder consultations, the SLoCaT Partnership has published the Final Draft of the Results Framework on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport. The Results Framework defines the 2030 vision of the Sustainable Transport community on what should be achieved in terms of improving rural, urban as well as national and regional access to goods, markets, jobs and services while minimizing the negative impacts on road safety, air quality and climate change. The Framework consists of six targets (three on access and three on negative externalities) supported by a series of indicators.
All six targets proposed in the SLoCaT Results Framework were reflected in the Outcome Document of the Open Working Group on the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Final Draft of Results Framework on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport
- Executive Summary of the Results Framework on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport English (pdf)
- Executive Summary of the Results Framework on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport Spanish (pdf)
- Final Report of the Results Framework (July 25, 2014)
- Compiled Comments Matrix for Final Round of Stakeholder Consultation
SLoCaT Results Framework on Sustainable Transport Targets for inclusion in the post-2015 Development Agenda
- Rural Access: Secure universal access by sustainable transport for rural populations by 2030
- Urban Access: Secure universal access by sustainable transport for urban populations by 2030
- National Access and Regional Connectivity: Facilitate national inclusion and regional connectivity by sustainable multi-modal freight and passenger services by 2030
- Road Safety: Halve the burden due to global road traffic crashes by halving the number of fatalities and serious injuries by 2030 compared to 2010
- Air Pollution and Human Health: Halve premature deaths from road related air pollution by 2030 compared to 2010
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Total world transport-related GHG emissions peak no later than 2020 then begin to decline at a 2% per year rate, with 2030 transport-related emissions no higher than 2010 emissions.
Please see the Final Draft Results Framework on Sustainable Transport for more details. Also, for the outreach materials (target fact-sheets, two-page summary, posters) on the Results Framework, please click here.
How is the SLoCaT Results Framework on Sustainable Transport reflected in the OWG Process?
Final OWG update - The Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals published its Outcome Document on SDGs on July 19th, 2014. All six proposed targets of the SLoCaT Results Framework on Sustainable Transport continue to be reflected in the Outcome Document which calls for pro-growth sustainable transport.
- Outcome Document on Sustainable Development Goals
- SLoCaT's response to the Outcome Document's Reflection of Sustainable Transport Targets
Development of the SLoCaT Results Framework on Sustainable Transport
The Results Framework on Sustainable Transport, developed by the Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) describes the contribution of sustainable transport to the realisation of the post-2015 Development Agenda that is currently being discussed by a special Open Working Group of the United Nations General Assembly. Sustainable transport cuts across many of the areas for which the OWG is currently discussing possible Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This document lays out options for targets on sustainable transport that support these possible SDGs. It provides indicators that can be used over the next 15 years to measure the realisation of the proposed targets. It suggests key implementation and enabling measures, which if realised in a timely manner will help to bring about sustainable transport.
Sustainable Transport was identified as one of 26 cross-cutting thematic areas and cross-sectoral issues in “The Future We Want”, the outcome document of the 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20). The SLoCaT Results Framework details how the Rio+20 consensus on sustainable transport can be integrated in the proposals for SDGs and targets developed by the Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SLoCaT takes into account the outcomes of The Seventh Session of the OWG held January 6-10, 2014, which addressed sustainable transport. (See the IISD Report on 7th Session of the OWG on Sustainable Development Goals and the Co-Chairs Summary bullet points for OWG 7).
Rather than pursue sustainable transport as a standalone Sustainable Development Goal, it is more likely that featuring transport’s key dimensions at the level of targets under other possible Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) will generate the level of attention and allocation of resources required to accelerate the implementation of sustainable transport.
SLoCaT's work to develop a Results Framework on Sustainable Transport started in September 2013. The Results Framework is developed by a team of consultants (Phil Sayeg and Paul Starkey) with inputs and guidance from Cornie Huizenga, the Secretary General of the SLoCaT Partnership. Providing financial and technical support for the development of the Results Framework on Sustainable Transport are Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and UN-Habitat with support from Department for International Development. A Steering Committee, led by Professor Anthony May was formed to provide technical reviews of key deliverables.
The development of the Results Framework is a process and the Results Framework itself is a "living document", which will change taking into account the ongoing discussions in the OWG and feedback from stakeholders on sustainable transport and sustainable development.
Key Deliverables in the Development of the Results Framework on Sustainable Development (as of March 2014):
- SLoCaT Comparative Table on OWG Focus Areas and SDSN Sustainable Development Goals (27 February, 2014)
- Updated Draft Results Framework on Sustainable Transport - 9 February, 2014
- Next Steps for SLoCaT Sustainable Transport Results Framework - Briefing Note to the Steering Committee (11 January 2014)
- Progress Report 1: Development of a Post-2015 Results Framework on Sustainable Transport (December 20)
- Draft Sustainable Transport Results Framework OWG 7 Input (December 23)
- Comments Matrix on Draft Summary with proposed responses (as of December 23)
- Draft Summary: Sustainable Development Goal for Sustainable Transport and Associated Results Framework (Consultation Draft-January 3)
- Inception Report: Development of a Post-2015 Results Framework on Sustainable Transport (November 11)
- Concept Paper on Development of a Post-2015 Results Framework on Sustainable Transport (August 21)
The draft Results Framework was presented at a OWG 7 Side Event (http://www.slocat.net/event/1114) and was also discussed at consultation meetings in New York on 8th January and in Washington DC on 15th January (See http://www.slocat.net/event/1105).