In February 2015, the Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) launched a new work stream on Rural Transport, in partnership with, and support of the UK Aid-funded Research for Community Access Partnership (ReCAP). For more information on Phase I of the project, "Promotion of Sustainable Rural Access in the post-2015 Sustainable Development Agenda (Phase I)," please click here.
Phase II of the project, “Promotion of Sustainable Rural Access in the implementation of the 2030 Global Agenda on Sustainable Development,” is beginning implementation in November 2016 to further promote sustainable rural access as a viable component of the implementation strategies for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to ensure its inclusion in the high-level, multi-lateral development discourse on sustainable transport and rural development.
Results of Phase II will include:
- Increased awareness and recognition among national governments and multilateral agencies about the key role of rural transport and rural accessibility in contributing to achieving the SDGs.
- Rural access consistently featuring as an agenda topic at multilateral events and high level development debates, including the increased visibility of rural transport and accessibility in the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development.
- Inclusion of rural transport and accessibility as indicators to monitor and evaluate the SDG implementation process.
- Increased recognition amongst key players of the important role that UKAID, and ReCAP in particular, can play in the development of sustainable rural access.
The work and activities of Phase II are categorized under three major workstreams:
1. Advocacy and Outreach
This workstream will deliver a set of five key messages on rural transport developed through a systematic consultation process. The key messages will translate into advocacy materials through various social media channels, publications, and promotional materials, and will be utilized for other activities under the other two workstreams.
2. Global and Regional Dialogues
This workstream carries on the effort of Phase I in bringing together the rural transport community around the world through effective dialogues, meetings, and side events to key international conferences. In addition to facilitating the global narrative on rural transport, Phase II will take a specific interest in the sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia regions.
3. Operationalization of SDGs
This workstream aims to facilitate the contribution of rural transport in the SDG development processes by: first, integrating rural transport within a common framework on sustainable mobility currently under development as part of a transport sector-wide effort to develop an actionable agenda; second, tracking SDG-linked global rural transport targets and relevant national targets as part of a comprehensive tracking framework on sustainable transport; and third, advocating for whole-life financing of rural transport infrastructure and service of the MDBs and other institutions.
For more information on rural transport and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, please click here.
If you would like to know more about the ReCAP-SLoCaT project on rural transport, please contact Alice Yiu at email@example.com.