The Volvo Research and Educational Foundations (VREF) is a generic term for four independent foundations. For the millennium the Board of VREF has initiated a new research programme to be funded – Future Urban Transport (FUT). The foundations commonly support the programme by providing funds for research and educational projects
The four VREF foundations are:
- the Volvo Research Foundation,
- the Volvo Educational Foundation,
- the Dr. Pehr G. Gyllenhammar Foundation,
- the Håkan Frisinger Foundation for Transport Research.
Since the turn of the Century, these foundations – through VREF – have focused on the area Future Urban Transport (FUT) with the subtitle, “How to deal with complexity.” VREF invests in programs and projects with the mission:
- To support the development of new knowledge on ideas and solutions that can contribute to equitable access and sustainable urban transport;
- To support the development of educational and outreach programs in the area of equitable access and sustainable urban transport;
- To contribute to the dissemination and implementation of research findings among both university researchers, practitioners, decision makers and other relevant stakeholders;
- To support demonstrative examples and change processes.
A cornerstone of VREF policy is that the research that is financed shall aim to influence the development of transportation systems that are sustainable and accessible for all. Therefore, the connections to education and stakeholders in each local environment are important aspects of planned research programmes.
Tel: +46-(0)31-308 6700