- This event has passed.
Europen Habitat Side Event: Transport in action: boosting the take-up of sustainable urban mobility
16 March 2016 @ 5:30 pm
The SOLUTIONS project and Urban Electric Mobility Vehicles Initiative (UEMI) support international exchange on sustainable urban mobility solutions. These initiatives bring together a wealth of experience and technical knowledge from international organisations, consultants, cities, and experts involved in transport issues and solutions. SOLUTIONS and the UEMI aim to make a substantial contribution to the uptake of innovative and green urban mobility solutions across the world by facilitating dialogue and exchange, promoting successful policy, providing guidance and tailored advice to city officials, and fostering future cooperation on research, development and innovation. This event will showcase some of the activities of cities working together on sustainable mobility as part of the SOLUTIONS project and the UEMI network.
The objective of this side event is to discuss the opportunities and barriers of sustainable transport measures and the contribution of city-to-city cooperation to boost take-up and transfer. Jointly organized by the urban mobility SOLUTIONS project and the Urban Electric Mobility Initiative (UEMI)
The objectives of this side-event are:
- Explore the potential contribution of low-carbon mobility to sustainable urban development
- Facilitate international cooperation opportunities between European and partners in developing and emerging economies on the implementation of sustainable urban mobility measures
3. Link to Habitat III process
This side-event will focus on the discussions related to Policy Unit “Urban Services and Technology” and will highlight the potential of international cooperation in the area of sustainable urban development, with a focus on low-carbon mobility and city-to-city cooperation.
4. Agenda and format
This side-event will provide some examples for local implementation action to deliver on the New Urban Agenda and show-case the city-to-city cooperation in the SOLUTIONS and UEMI context.
Welcome and introduction
Sustainable urban mobility in action
- Oliver Lah, Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy: Key messages from the Habitat III Urban Services and Technology Policy Unit and an introduction to the SOLUTIONS project
- Andre Dzikus, Coordinator Urban Basic Services, UN-Habitat: The Urban Electric Mobility Initiative (UEMI)
- Miimu Airaksinen, VTT, Technical Research Centre of Finland: Urban planning and Smart City Development
- Edmundo Werna, International Labour Office, United Nations: Working for sustainable transport: implications for labour & livelihoods
- Avi Silverman, UNICEF: Sustainable and safe transport for children in the urban context
- Jorge Kogan, CAF Latin American Development Bank: Implementation action in Latin America
- Armin Wagner, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ): The German Partnership for Sustainable Mobility (GPSM) and examples from local action
- Cornie Huizenga, Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport: SLoCaT Partnership’s Vision for Sustainable Transport at Habitat III
Panel discussion and bringing urban mobility on the path to sustainability
Moderated by Pascal Smet, Brussels Minister of Mobility and Public Works
Conclusions and outlook
For more information about this event, please see here, or contact: 0049 157 33181562