- This event has passed.
Global Consultation on Sustainable Transport in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
25 April 2013 @ 9:00 am
The Global Consultation on Sustainable Transport in the post 2015 Development Agenda was held on 25 April 2013 in concurrence with the Seventh Regional EST Forum in Asia. In January 2012 UN‐Secretary General Ban Ki‐moon identified transport as one of six building blocks for the post 2015 Sustainable Development Framework in the Action Agenda for his second term. The Global Consultation discussing and making recommendations on the linkage between sustainable transport and sustainable development is part of an open and inclusive consultation process, being implemented in order for the post‐2015 agenda to have the best development impact. With the participation of government representatives from selected countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America, the Global Consultation contributed towards the Rio+20 follow‐up discussion on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) by discussing the possible merits a sustainable transport related SDG.
The Global Consultation on Sustainable Transport in the post 2015 Development Agenda is part of a series of consultation meetings in the first half of 2013. It provided a good opportunity to effectively utilize the existing Regional EST Forum in Asia to engage ministries of environment, health, and transport in Asia in the discussion on the contribution of sustainable transport towards sustainable development and the possible development of a Sustainable Development Goals for Transport and the associated targets and indicators.
The Global Consultation was co‐organized by United Nations Development of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), Ministry of Transportation of the Government of Indonesia, United Nations Center for Regional Development and the Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT).
Please see below for the Global Consultation related documents:
- Programme of the Global Consultation on Sustainable Transport in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Aide Memoire on Global Consultations on Sustainable Transport in the Post-2015 Development Framework
- Background Paper: Post-2015 Development Framework and Transport: a unique opportunity for transformational change
- Sustainable Transport – What Role in the Global Sustainable Development Agenda?-presented by Michael Replogle, Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
- Summary of the Global Consultation on Sustainable Transport in the Post-2015 Development Agenda