SLOCAT is the international, multi-stakeholder partnership powering systemic transformations and a just transition towards equitable, healthy, green and resilient transport and mobility systems for the people and the planet. We deliver on our mission through co-creation, co-leadership and co-delivery across knowledge, advocacy and dialogue activities in the intersection between transport, climate change and sustainability. Our multi-sectoral Partnership engages a vibrant and inclusive ecosystem across transport associations, NGOs, academia, governments, multilateral organisations, philanthropy and business; as well as a large community of world-class experts and change-makers. Going where others do not or cannot go individually, our Partnership is leveraged to set ambitious global agendas and catalyse progressive thinking and solutions for the urgent transformation of transport and mobility systems worldwide.
The Policy Advocacy and Engagement Intern will support the SLOCAT Secretariat in policy advocacy and engagement in the context of key intergovernmental processes on climate change and sustainable development. The intern will work under the supervision of the Director of Global Advocacy and Engagement, and engage with a variety of SLOCAT Secretariat staff to support delivery of their work.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Support the efforts around SLOCAT’s engagement in intergovernmental processes, including the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the UN High-Level Political Forum for Sustainable Development, the UN Sustainable Development Goals Summit, the UN Climate Action Summit, the UN General Assembly and others.
- Support in elaboration of advocacy messaging towards these global intergovernmental processes and based on new and existing SLOCAT knowledge products.
- Support the synergies between advocacy and knowledge management work in the SLOCAT Secretariat.
- Engage in preparatory meetings related to these processes (primarily online) and ensure the sustainable, low carbon transport movement is represented.
- Support the preparation and organisation of multi-stakeholder gatherings at these intergovernmental processes (primarily online), including agenda elaboration, speaker invitations, meeting materials, reporting and follow-up, IT and other logistics).
- Support the Secretariat mechanisms for coordinating SLOCAT partners’ engagement in these intergovernmental processes, e.g. Task Forces, public consultations, etc.
- Provide general, ad hoc support across the Secretariat team, as necessary, including around major events, internal SLOCAT meetings and key SLOCAT flagship products.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (transport, climate change, sustainable development, public policy, international relations, etc.).
- Knowledge of or experience in intergovernmental processes, particularly in work around sustainable development and/or climate change, is a plus.
- Knowledge of or experience in the UN system is a plus.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Other languages are an asset.
- Excellent computer skills, with knowledge of G Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Detail-oriented and organised thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and across time zones.
- Proven ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
This is a paid internship position (preferably full time) to be developed through remote work arrangements. Candidates available for a minimum of six months are invited to apply. Interested candidates should kindly submit an application (CV and one-page maximum motivation letter) to email@example.com by 11:59pm CEST on 16 June, 2023, indicating earliest available start date and envisioned duration. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview.