- This event has passed.
Financing Framework for Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport
7 July 2014 @ 1:15 pm
The Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) in coordination with the Climate Bonds Initiative, and the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy have organized a side event during the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development’s meeting. The event “Financing Framework for Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport” was held on July 7th (1.15 – 2.30 pm), in New York, United States. (Conference Room 5, North Lawn Building, United Nations).
Following the success experience in developing the SLoCaT Results Framework on Sustainable Transport (www.slocat.net/resultsframework), SLoCaT aims to facilitate the development of a Financing Framework for Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport. In order for the Framework to be effective in terms of impact it will be important that it:
- Combines climate change perspective and sustainable development perspective;
- Focuses on development of infrastructure and services as well as the operation and maintenance of such infrastructure and services;
- Integrates public and private sector financing;
- Defines the specific role of Official Development Assistance (ODA) as well as Climate Financing.
The side event focused on the following key questions:
- What part of GHG emission reduction measure, or other sustainability measures in the transport sector, can be funded through passing on the costs to users?
- How to re-direct public sector funding from supporting and enabling a car dominated infrastructure towards multi-modal transport infrastructure services which can reduce the modal share of car or truck based passenger and freight transport?
- How to tap private sector as a more significant contributor to develop sustainable, low carbon transport infrastructure and services?
- How to better leverage both public and private funding sustainable transport through sustainable transport directed ODA (e.g. MDB Rio+20 $ 175 billion Voluntary Commitment)?
- How to make Climate Financing (e.g. Global Environment Facility, Clean Development Mechanism, Green Climate Fund) work better for the transport sector?
Program and presentations of the side event:
- Welcome Remarks by Representative UN-DESA and the SLoCaT Partnership;
- Short description of the SLoCaT Framework on Sustainable Transport and scoping of the proposed Financing Framework for Sustainable Transport – Cornie Huizenga, Secretary General, Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport;
- Panel discussion with:
- “Financing Framework for Sustainable Transport: How much is needed and towards what ends?” Michael Replogle, Managing Director for Policy and Founder, Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
- “Financing Framework for Sustainable Transport” Elliott Sclar, Professor of Urban Planning and Public Affairs at Columbia University
- Mohammad (Reza) Salamat, Senior Program Officer, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
For more information on the event, please contact Cornie Huizenga at cornie.huizenga[at]slocatpartnership.org