- This event has passed.
Velo-city Global Adelaide 2014
27 May 2014 @ 12:00 am
European Cyclists’ Federation’s Velo-city series of conferences is widely considered as the premier international planning conferences on cycling.
The conferences are designed to encourage cycling as part of daily transport and recreation. Velo-city began in 1980 in Bremen, Germany with deep ties in the founding of the European Cyclists’ Federation. Since then conferences have been held in cities including Copenhagen, Brussels, Barcelona and Montreal. Velo-city conferences are now attracting about 1,000 delegates from more than 50 different countries.
Velo-city conferences bring together those involved in policy, promotion and the provision of cycling facilities and programs. Engineers, planners, architects, social marketers, academic researchers, environmentalists, business, and industry representatives join forces with government at all levels ranging from municipal politicians, policy makers and educators in knowledge sharing in order to build effective trans-national partnerships to deliver benefits worldwide.
Answering the growing demand for expertise in cycling from cities, ECF has decided to hold an annual Velo-city conference as of 2010. In any case a Velo-city will be hold in every odd numbered year in Europe. The Global edition (Velo-city Global) of the conference series will be held in every even numbered year on one of the six continents.
Objectives of the Velo-city series are:
- Spread high quality knowledge, good new information about cycling, and transport planning at the international level.
- Cities with good cycling policies showcase the benefits they provide to their citizens, businesses and others through the conference generated publicity.
- Encourage the recognition of cycling as an efficient, healthy, environmentally-friendly mode of transport, and to promote its greater use.
- Integration of cycle planning into transport, land-use planning and other relevant policy sectors where cycling plays an important role.
- Seek involvement from all relevant stakeholders.
What is a Velo-city Global?
The program and structure of a Velo-city Global conference are developed under a global aspect. The target is to have contributions and participants coming from six continents (e.g. Velo-city Global 2010 Copenhagen, Velo-city Global 2012 Vancouver).
For more information and to register for Velo-city Global, please visit http://www.velo-city2014.com/