Safe, efficient, low carbon, and affordable transport for all is essential to sustainable human development, powering lives and livelihoods and serving as the engine of the global economy. It is therefore essential that sustainable transport is integrated into all sustainable development policies.
Transport-Relevant SDG Targets
Sustainable transport is a key enabler of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It acts as a cross-cutting theme, supporting the achievement of at least 8 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and makes direct and indirect contributions to an additional 13 SDG targets. Transport is directly related to five SDG indicators:
Progress Towards Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals
The 2030 Agenda encourages member states to submit Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) to the United Nations High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), which has been convening annually since 2016 under the auspices of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
The VNR process aims to facilitate the sharing of experiences among countries, including successes, challenges and lessons learned, with the objective of accelerating implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
Since the first HLPF in 2016, SLOCAT has been assessing how countries are referencing transport in their Voluntary National Reviews, in light of the sector’s critical importance to implementation of the 2030 Agenda. SLOCAT’s annual report, Transport: A Critical Driver to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals outlines trends and on-the-ground implementation and best practices in sustainable, low carbon transport, as reported in countries’ VNRs.
Since the inaugural HLPF in 2016, SLoCaT has been conducting analyses on the VNRs submitted each year. Please go to www.slocat.net/vnr for more information.
- SLoCaT Recommendations for the Third Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs – May 2016
- SLoCaT Partnership Comments Submitted to IAEG-SDG – November 2015
- SLoCaT Comments on Revised IAEG-SDGs Indicators – August 2015
During the development of the SDG indicators, the SLoCaT Partnership conducted reviews of the indicators for sustainable, low carbon transport and compiled studies on the proposed indicators:
- SLoCaT Review of Existing and Potential Indicators on Transport to Support the SDGs-DRAFT In Progress – March 2015
- SLoCaT Proposed SDG Indicators on Sustainable Transport – March 2015
- Technical report by the Bureau of the United Nations Statistical Commission (UNSC) on the process of the development of an indicator framework for the goals and targets of the post-2015 development agenda – February 2015
- SLoCaT Partnership’s Response to the SDSN’s Draft Report on Proposed Indicators and Monitoring Framework for the SDG
- Indicators and Monitoring Framework for the SDGs by Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) – January 2015