SLOCAT is the international multi-stakeholder partnership that enables collaborative knowledge and action for sustainable, low carbon transport and brings the voice of the movement into international climate change and sustainability processes.
Today our Partnership includes over 90 actors across transport sectors associations, knowledge and academia, governments, multilateral organisations, NGOs, philanthropy and industry; as well as a large community of experts and practitioners.
With a primary focus on land transport and a geographical footprint targeted at the Global South, SLOCAT develops its mission through knowledge tools and data analysis, policy advocacy and multi-stakeholder gatherings.
EUROCLIMA+ is the European Union’s flagship programme on environmental sustainability and climate change with Latin America. Its objective is to reduce the impact of climate change and its effects in Latin America by promoting mitigation and adaptation to climate change, resilience and investment.
SLOCAT supports EUROCLIMA+’s work in the urban mobility sector, which varies corresponding to the needs expressed by countries in the region. This support includes:
- Organising targeted outreach and capacity-building to regional policymakers.
- Facilitating dialogues to increase attention to urban mobility in national climate discussions.
- Providing support to increase urban mobility ambition in Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and Long-Term Strategies (LTS) of the Paris Agreement.
- Highlighting regional mobility work in global climate and transport activities.
- Conducting regional-level analysis of sustainable transport issues.
The SLOCAT Partnership Secretariat is seeking Project Assistance support from a consultant with strong interest in promoting sustainable transport in Latin America and the Caribbean. The consultant will support the delivery of activities in the framework of SLOCAT’s work around the EUROCLIMA+ Programme through a variety of communication, research, and coordination activities (see duties and responsibilities). These activities aim to strengthen the linkages between the climate process (i.e., NDCs and LTS), the New Urban Agenda and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Voluntary National Reviews) in order to achieve safe, affordable and sustainable urban mobility.
The consultant will report to the SLOCAT Secretariat personnel in charge of Knowledge Analysis and Policy Advocacy, who coordinates SLOCAT’s regional work in Latin America and the Caribbean. The consultancy will be remote with regular check-ins with this supervisor.
Type of Contract and Duration
This is a consulting opportunity. Each individual is exclusively responsible for compliance with all applicable taxes, tax and/or social security legislation and/or insurance legislation or any other legislation.
The duration of the consultancy is approximately 11 months full-time, with any possibility of extension contingent on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Communications, including dissemination of SLOCAT’s work to the EUROCLIMA+ community, often requiring the translation of materials from English to Spanish.
- Research and contribution to knowledge products on sustainable transport in LAC.
- Support to workshops and capacity-building activities, including related to raising transport ambition in Nationally-Determined Contributions (NDCs) and Long-Term Strategies (LTS) of the Paris Agreement.
- Support ensuring that sustainable transport lessons from LAC are shared with the broader global transport and climate change communities.
- Regular coordination with other regional actors.
- Execution of relevant administrative tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in transport, urban planning, public policy, or another field related to sustainable development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of transport, climate, and sustainable development issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work remotely and in-person within a global organisation.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Native or equivalent Spanish speaker.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience working in transport and/or sustainable development in Latin America.
- Communications experience.
USD $2,500 – $3,500 per month based on experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit their resume/CV and cover letter (1-page maximum) to email@example.com by 8 February 2021.
Download the Terms of Reference here.